Friday 16 April 2010

Proposal

Final Major Project : proposal

Section 1 : Progress and Achievement

On the Foundation course at Camberwell my approach to the creative process has developed a long way. I have been given the opportunity to explore a lot of new mediums and processes and have spent a lot of time working on screen printing which I have found to suit my style of illustration. My creative process has developed in the sense that I now put a lot more effort into my research and development rather than simply focusing on a final outcome which has pushed my work to a higher standard

My main source of inspiration and source material comes from the Medicine man exhibition at the wellcome trust which showcases bizarre and unusual items some, thousands of years old which have been collected from around the world for the hundreds of years and is an excellent insight into the history of medicine and human health, the exhibit ranging through Aztec sexual aids, napoleon’s toothbrush and amputation from the 16th century, similarly the Hunterian museum which focuses more on surgical and anatomical oddities. As well as the work of Han Hoogerbruge whose mixed digital media work looks deep into the darker side of the human condition through an interactive internet based medium

I would like to explore the idea of health in its broadest sense, both mental, physical and the way that the idea of health has changed throughout history. I want to look into the human as a population and the way its mentality and reactions to health and ill health manifest. To look into this I will take myself on an exploration of this area, visiting public libraries, attending lectures, collecting information, photographs, objects, and audio. I will also be using the internet, magazines, text books, videos as well as said visits for inspiration and source material to work directly from. To record and document my findings and ideas I will use a range of mediums including conceptual and observational drawing, photography, scrap books, collections. I also plan on having an element of public research involved in my project this will include public observation, questionnaires, interviews and fact finding missions. My aim for a final outcome is, at the moment unclear however I would like to produce a single object or creation that objectifies my findings and consolidates them into one singular entity to show exactly what I am researching, the collective idea of health. I would like my final piece to have an element of user interaction as this project is an extrospective view into the world of health and well being.

To evaluate my work as I progress I will keep a reflective journal which will allow me to see how my work is developing. I will also aim to have regular tutorials with my tutor as he will be able to guide me in the right direction if I find that I have hit a wall in my project. I will also talk to other students and work off their ideas

Wellcome trust

Huggerbrugge

No comments:

Post a Comment